The 2010 "It's a Breast Thing" Event
It's a Breast Thing 2010 was held on beautiful October evening at Perspective 2 in Old Town. Many thanks to Lynne Brown and her staff for providing this wonderful venue.
The Theme for this year's event was Myths vs Facts: Dr. Lakeeya Tucker of Alliance Obstetrics and Gynecology was the featured speaker and led the audience through the following questions:
- When should I get my first mammogram?
- What are the two biggest risk factors for breast cancer?
- Does taking hormones increase the risk of breast cancer?
- What are some ways of lowering the risk of breast cancer? What race is at the highest risk to develop breast cancer?
- What race is at the highest risk to die from breast cancer?
- How often should I do a breast exam? How important is it to do breast exams?
- Are men at risk for breast cancer?
- I have a lump in my breast that does not show up on mammogram. Can I assume the lump is OK?
- Are large breasted women at increased risk for breast cancer?
- Is pain in the breast a sign of a serious problem?
The audience came up with many questions of their own in this informal exchange of information. Attendees commented that the information presented was valuable and they were thankful to have it provided in this way.
Over 30 decorated bras were on display. This year's theme was Movie Titles and "Toy Story", "Avatar". "The Color Purple" and "101 Dalmatians" were just a few of the movies that inspired a bra.
Attendees were given 11 tickets at the door to vote for their favorite(s) and winning bras were featured in the 2011 It's a Breast Thing Calendar. This year all of the women featured in the calendar were breast cancer survivors.
The winning bras and their decorators were:
Other contestants were:
During the evening attendees had the opportunity to browse the exhibits and gain valuable information about services available to women in our community.
The American Cancer Society
MSU Lymphedema Clinic
Path of Pink
Heather Spotts, LMSW,OSW-C
Breast Center of Lansing
Dr. Lee Colony
Wright and Filippis
Dr. Robert Watts
Another Look Hair Institute
And, of course, there were refreshments and door prizes. A special thanks to Barb Cleland, Foods for Living, Quiznos, B/A Florist, Gello Cakes and fabulous volunteers for making the evening a tremendous success!